Skip to main content

Blues Breakthrough (or, the Key is Turning)

Continuing with the breakthrough theme of the week, here's a bit about my blues breakthrough from Sunday afternoon.

Earlier this year, when I first resurrected this blog, I wrote about how I want to be able to sit at the piano and be able to improvise stuff and not have it sound like crap. Well, maybe I didn't use those exact words.

And So I Dove Right into Jazz Studies ...

I started revisiting my 2-5-1 progressions, then added color tones.  I found a very nice jazz piano teacher online and also discovered the Piano With Jonny website. I gamely took on PWJ's "Misty" challenge, would would include guidance on jazz solo techniques. I listened and listened and listened to the great jazz pianists, and any other jazz pianist that Spotify's algorithm would spit out at me. Alas ...

I could not find the enthusiasm I needed to do all of this. After hours of jazz-listening, I always had to give myself a good 15-20 minutes of Bach because all of the rootless voicings made me feel so ... rootless.

I canceled lessons with the jazz teacher because I wasn't motivated to practice. I stopped doing the 2-5-1 progressions, which felt like drudgery and weren't enabling me to improvise the way I thought they would. I finished the "Misty" challenge and thought, "Thank goodness that's over."

Sometime in late February/early March, I realized I didn't want to play jazz. I wanted to play blues.

And So I Dove Right into Blues Studies ...

It's crazy that I didn't realize this. I mean, I listen to the blues all the time. I play blues piano solos in my head all the time. Maybe I was thinking things like "jazz is complicated! jazz sophisticated!" and "blues is (are?) basic and boring." Or maybe not. I don't know what I was thinking. But I decided to abandon jazz (for now) and get myself some learning in the blues.

I started the 10-Lesson Blues Challenge on Piano With Jonny about a month ago, and I've made it to Lesson 4. It took this classically trained, sometimes advanced pianist a good month to be able to coordinate my left and right hands when playing the blues shuffle ... but I'm finally managing it.

And then, this past Sunday afternoon, I sat down for a monster blues practice. I watched the Piano With Jonny Lesson 4 video, and I stopped it every time Jonny said to practice, and I practiced. It took about 3 hours to get through the first 45 minutes of the 64-minute lesson.

But guess what! I am now able to improvise stuff and not have it sound like crap! See?

The above video focuses on using triplets in the right hand. I also made this video where I'm primarily using eighth notes.

What's even more exciting is that I've barely scratched the surface. The 10-Lesson Challenge is just the first block of PWJ's very long course in the blues. I still need to learn slides, turns, licks (ugh ... why do they have to call them "licks"?), intros, endings, and all sorts of other things that I don't know how to do yet.

But I'm getting there. I'm getting there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...