Skip to main content

Breakthrough Weekend

I had the most amazing weekend. Each member of our family did their own thing: The husband went to Ohio to see a rock concert with some old friends, the kid went to Atlanta to visit a camp friend, and I stayed home to cuddle the cats, do some spring cleaning, and (mostly) practice the piano. (According to my piano journal spreadsheet, I put in a total of about nine and a half hours between Friday night and Sunday night.)

And it was glorious. I also had a number of breakthroughs this weekend. This blog post is more of a round-up of my progress, but I'll be writing more about the breakthroughs throughout the week.

What I Worked On

Friday night was mostly devoted to Maple Leaf Rag and Bare Necessities. On Saturday, I spent about a half-hour on minor sevenths, and then almost an hour on two scales: D Major and B Harmonic Minor. More on that in a scales-centric post later this week. After that, I dove deep into Chopin for several hours, taking the occasional break to do enough spring cleaning not to feel guilty.

And then, most of Sunday afternoon was devoted to the Blues.

Weekend SMART Goals

It was a good idea to come up with some SMART goals for the weekend. I had a clear idea of what I needed to accomplish over 2.5 days. To recap ...

Scales

Goal: Majors and 88, Minors at 76. ACHIEVED! But I also decided to take a different approach with scales, which I'll write about more later. For now, I'll just say that I'm now playing the parallel/contrary D Major scale at 120 and equivalent B Minor scale at 100. Parallel motion only? 130 and 110. Not lying. But like I said, I'll write more on this little breakthrough later this week.

Minor 7ths

Goal: Complete Lesson 2; improvise tunes. ACHIEVED!

Blues

Goal: Easy and medium shuffles with 3- and 6- note patterns and improv on eighth notes and triplets with both easy and medium shuffles. ACHIEVED! (I will post a video of my blues progress soon.)

Maple Leaf Rag

Goal: Whole piece by memory, with no pausing at transitions and minimal forearm fatigue, at 84. ACHIEVED! Playing at 84 now feels like child's play. This was another project that yielded a breakthrough moment this weekend, which I'll write about later this week.

Bare Necessities

Goal: Stride section by memory; sight-read rest of piece. ACHIEVED! Sight-reading was quite the adventure; another blog post for another day.

Chopin

Goal: End-of-weekend progress video for YouTube/PWJ community page. Video should be relatively error-free and include intended interpretive effects. ACHIEVED! I posted the Chopin video to the YouTube/PWJ/Facebook, and here it is:

As you can see, I still have work to do (particularly on the last page), but I feel very confident that I will have this ready to perform at a high level by the end of April.

So, there are a number of blog posts in the works this week. For now, I need to get ready for work. I'm working from home today, so I should be able to grab a few practice breaks in lieu of the coffee breaks I would normally take at the office!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...