Skip to main content

Practice Breakdown: March 2024

I had some free time in a waiting room, so I added up my practice hours for March. I updated my March Goals Recap with the total number of hours (50.45), but I thought I'd share the breakdowns here.

I spent almost a quarter (23%, or 11.8 hours) of my total practice time on Chopin ... which is interesting because I practiced Chopin only 18 days in March! This was a surprise to me. I would have guess that I'd practiced it every day, except for the few days I was in North Carolina and had only a 61-key keyboard to work with.

Only 18 days!

Next in the ranking is the Blues Learning Track at PWJ. I started on March 6, but I didn't really start working in it until March 10. I made it through the first three lessons and ended up devoting a full 8.9 hours of practice time over 17 days to the blues. When I was NC and only had that little keyboard, I only worked on the blues--mainly playing the blues scale over the easy and medium shuffles.

A full 16% (8 hours) of practice time went to Maple Leaf Rag, which I also only practiced for 18 days in March! I would have bet money that I'd practiced that one every single day.

Next was Bare Necessities with 16%, or 7.7 hours. Almost as much as Maple Leaf! I didn't start working on "BN" until March 3, and I practiced it for 20 days in March.

Sevenths (mostly dominant sevenths) got 12% of my practice time (6.1 hours) in March. I was pretty faithful about working on these and managed to go through the exercises for 25 days last month.

I didn't quite finish the Misty Challenge in February, and I spent a good 3.6 hours (7% of practice time, and 7 days) on it in early March.

Scales (3.6 hours) also got about 7% of my practice time. They were my warm-up of choice for 22 days.

Finally, just 2% of practice time (about an hour) went to "discarded" projects: the "Fly Me To the Moon" challenge on PWJ, which I started but quickly decided I didn't want to do; and my shells exercises that I'd been doing each morning. Those will be covered in PWJ's Level 5 Foundations, so I decided to just work on the Level 4 Foundations (sevenths) for now.

And that's it! I know there is benefit in taking short breaks from pieces, but I do want to be a little more regular in my practice. Several times I went several days without practicing Chopin and/or Maple Leaf, and I think I'll see more progress if I'm a little more consistent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...