Skip to main content

Weekend Piano Goals (April 19-21)

I am feeling very "TGIF" today! We've had a lot going on this week, and my piano practice time has been spotty. It's also managed to be quite productive ... more on that in another post.

I have a moderately busy weekend ahead of me. Tonight is a rec volleyball game, and then tomorrow I want to buy/plant the flowers that we never got around to planting last weekend. And then we have a volleyball practice Saturday afternoon, church Sunday, and a club volleyball end-of-season party that will take up most of Sunday afternoon.

These are all good things and I'm looking forward to all of them (except maybe the yard work ... I don't love yard work). But I will need to make a concerted effort to make time for piano.

The Goals

Here are my SMART goals for the weekend:

SCALES: Finish my week-long deep dive into A Major/F# Minor and move on to E Major/C# minor. For some reason, this week hasn't felt like a deep dive into these scales. Maybe it's because A Major is relatively easy for me, and I'd already been doing a lot of focused work on F# minor. The fourth finger of my left hand is causing some inconsistency at the faster tempos, so I've been doing Hanon for a few minutes a day to work on strengthening that part of my hand.

MINOR SEVENTHS: Add Exercise 6 (V-I progressions using inversions) to my daily minor sevenths routine. With all exercises, work on automaticity and getting them to the recommended speeds.

BLUES: Continue with Lesson 5. I covered the first 15-20 minutes last weekend, so I'd like to cover the next 20 or so minutes this weekend. (To cover 20 minutes of the video lesson takes about 45 minutes, so I'm trying to break this up into pieces.)

MAPLE LEAF RAG: I did some really good work on Maple Leaf this past week. I'm now mostly fine-turning and working to play (and keep) it at my goal tempo of about 104. My SMART goals for MLR this weekend are to (1) practice with the metronome and (2) work on incorporating my own stylistic elements.

CHOPIN: I've also done some good work on Chopin this week. I've reached the point in this piece where I'm mostly fine-tuning things. I do need to do a bit more drilling of the final page (I keep putting that off, for some reason), but mostly I want to play through the individual sections, working on further automaticity and experimenting with dynamics, tone, and rubato.

BARE NECESSITIES: Continue working on automaticity with the stride section. Even though it's just the first section, it can be a crowd-pleaser if there's a piano around, so I want to be ready for that! I can play the first two pages quite well at a moderate tempo, but I want to be able to play it at a bright, bouncy, fast tempo that will have people grinning and tapping their feet. I also want to do more work on the Ragtime A & B sections, which I can now play by memory at a slow tempo. The SMART goal for that is to practice it with the metronome and bring it up a few notches, doing whatever drilling or rhythm work I need to do. The priority, though, is getting that stride section performance-ready for that elusive day that I happen to be in the vicinity of a grand piano with a ready-made audience.

I always dream of that day. Maybe I should pray for it. I'm certainly ready for it now, with two and possibly two and a half pieces at near-performance level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a