Skip to main content

-7 to V7 to Δ Progressions

In Mark Levine's Jazz Piano Book, one of the first exercises is to learn a ii-V-I pattern, with the ii a minor seventh (-7), the V a dominant seventh (7), and the I a major seventh (Δ). In this exercise, you play the root in the bass and the third and the seventh in the treble. (The fifth isn't necessary because it's the third and seventh that determine the quality of the chord.) He says to practice these, going around the circle of fifths, and in both inversions (fifth on top, third on top), until it's all second nature.

So when I was about 28, shortly after I bought the book, I started working on these. They weren't easy. I wasn't very good at music theory (or even reading music) at the time, so it was a real strain on my mind. This was about the time I signed up for jazz piano lessons with a musician in Baton Rouge. At the first lesson, I showed him the little progress I'd made on the progressions, and he suggested that, instead of going around the circle of fifths, I should work make the I of one progression to the ii of the next progression. This way I wasn't having to jump a fourth every time.

So I learned that ... and I wish I hadn't. Because going up a fourth is part of the "second nature" of the exercise. Anyway.

The next chapter talked about suspensions and Phrygian chords and I absolutely did not understand any of it, so I set the book aside, purportedly for a while, and then life circumstances changed and I didn't go back to it for a long time. I still practiced the ii-V-I progressions on occasion, and I even wrote some nice little melodies based on them, but I never got past that Phrygian chapter.

A few days ago, I went back to the Levine book ... and that Phrygian chapter still does not make sense to me. So I moved on to the next chapter, which is much easier to digest. It introduces some color tones into the ii-V-I, and, as with the previous exercise, it says to practice and practice and practice these progressions around the circle of fifths until they become second nature.

Because color tones are added, there are three inversions to learn instead of just two. Here is one of them:


Here is a brief video of me going through these in several different keys, going up a fourth each time.

So ... 12 keys x 3 inversions = 36 progressions that need to become "second nature." I've been working on these for a few days, and, while it hasn't exactly been easy, it's been fun. It's making my brain happy to think on this level.

Once I learn these, there will be inversions with flatted fifths and such ... but it will be a while before I get there.  In the meantime, I'm glad to be back in the Levine book again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro