Skip to main content

Chopin's Dark, Despairing, Hopeful Nocturne in F Minor

 It's lunchtime Tuesday, and I'm thinking about my biweekly 30-minute piano lesson that will be later this afternoon.

I'll be working on two pieces: the Chopin Nocturne in F minor, and Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag. Today I'm mostly thinking about the Chopin. I've learned the first three pages (mostly), up to the section I refer to as "The Transcendence," starting at measure 77. I'm a little apprehensive about the lesson--not because I don't know the music, but because of the weird transition that is required when playing an acoustic piano after practicing for two weeks on a digital.

Anyway, when I first started this nocturne, I found this lecture by pianist Greg Niemczuk:

In it, he tells us that in the couple of years before the F minor nocturne was written/published, Chopin was "wounded" three times. These wounds were the death of his first teacher, of whom Chopin was very fond; the death of his beloved friend, roommate, and soulmate by tuberculosis, which devastated Chopin; and, in May 1844, the death of his father. This nocturne is, we learn, about death.

I think this nocturne is also about dark fate, stuckness, and despair. It's a good soundtrack for where my life has been over this past year. In the lecture, Niemczuk says that you'd think sad people would need bright, cheerful music to comfort them, but, in reality, "we need music that transmits the same kinds of emotions that we are in because we want to feel understood."

And boy, does this nocturne help me to feel understood!

The main theme descends, gets stuck on C, tries again, doesn't get anywhere, tries again, and concludes with a dark F minor chord. Niemczuk says the descending notes are like "tears" and observes that there seems to be an "obsession" with this opening motif. Indeed, it's repeated nine times on the first two pages!

Then ... after the first six repeats of the theme, there is some hope. The theme begins again, with a beautiful embellishment. It is a hopeful, questioning raising of the eyes toward the unknown horizon ... but then the dark bell tolls, and there is a slow, sad, stuttering falling back down to the main theme. A hopeful question, but with with a terrible answer.

And this same, lovely yet frustrating and dark pattern repeats itself again.

Niemczuk notes that when someone plays this nocturne badly, without emotion or understanding, it is "impossible to listen" because it is the "same, same, same." To paraphrase him (because I didn't write it down), to play this well, you almost have to explore all the different types of sadness that it's possible to feel.

Well, sign me up! I'm good at sadness. 

But then we get to the part B section, and more emotions I'm good at:

Anger. Rage. Screaming in the car. Whatever it is. Followed by helpless whimpering, pleading.

This could be an attack of the stronger over the weaker, of old age and death over youth and health, of momentary resolve and lingering, retreating fear. Whatever it is, I am here for it.

There is a moment of escape ... but the descending motif of the first theme is there in the mess, in the alto voice, reminding us that escape is futile.

At the climax, there is a long descent that begins passionately but then slows to a whimper. And the plodding, descending original theme is back. And we wonder ... will it be the same thing, over and over again, for the rest of eternity?

No. Because then come The Transcendence. The part I haven't learned yet. The part where, perhaps, the person dies and goes to heaven, or where a sliver of light shines into the dark hopelessness. I like to think it is the latter. For my life, at least.

The Transcendence continues, until the end, really, which comes with a series of slow, final F-major chords. F major? Yes, we finish in F major. Though, if you're listening for the first time, you have no idea, until the chord is played, whether we'll end in despairing pessimmism or a kind of bittersweet optimism.

I'm so excited about learning this piece and hope that someday I'll play it well enough to communicate all of this with the music alone.

Meanwhile, here is a video of Paul Barton, a pianist who does a beautiful job with it. There are several good recordings out there (Rubinstein, Horowitz, and more), of course, in addition to this video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro