Skip to main content

Off-Kilter

My practice percentages are seriously off-kilter this month.

As you can see, I'm extremely over in Blues and Lagniappe, slightly over in technique, and extremely under in everything else.

Why the Imbalance?

There are several reasons for this. One is that I picked up "Amazing Grace" again but didn't create a category for it, so all of my "Amazing Grace" practice is covered under the "Blues" umbrella. Also under this umbrella is my practice on blues endings and my reviewing of licks, runs, etc., as I practice improvising.

The imbalance was even worse, but I decided to move my blues scale practice to "Technique." When I did that, my technique percentage shot up.

Another reason for the imbalance is the "Lagniappe" category. "Lagniappe" is a south Louisiana word meaning "a little something extra," so that's the word I'm using for everything else I work on that isn't strictly covered in one of my "proper" categories. With my dad's death and my preparation of the hymns (including an arrangement of "The Old Rugged Cross"), I've spent about 7 hours (and counting) on "lagniappe" alone.

So things are a mess.

Getting the Balance Back

We're almost halfway through the month. I don't know if I can get the balance back completely, but I can work on it. My biggest concern right now is the Chopin nocturne. The masterclass is in 17 days, and I need to focus. I don't want to set aside newer pieces like Jingle Bells and Solace aside altogether ... but I may need to. For now, regardless of how much time I spend on other pieces, my goal is to put at least a half-hour into Chopin every day between now and the 28th.

I do need to spend less time on my blues practice. I think it could be possible to put a little time in each day—15-20 minutes—and be done with it.

As for my maintenance pieces? I can play through them one or two days a week and be okay. I'm thinking of taking a couple of days a week for each one. For example, Maple Leaf Rag on Wednesday and Saturday, Rondo alla Turca on Monday and Friday, Bare Necessities on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Something like that.

Shiny Objects

I do have a few shiny objects that are threatening to distract me from my current projects. One is the PWJ Contemporary/Pop courses, which I watched while sitting with my dad as he slept at the memory care facility. The other is a Dr. John-style version of Silent Night (and techniques to play like Dr. John in general).

I also want to spend more time on "The Old Rugged Cross." I have so many ideas for this arrangement. When will I find the time to work on it? Maybe this weekend?

Must focus. There will be time for all of those other things. For now, I need to focus, and the main project for the next couple of weeks needs to be CHOPIN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a