Skip to main content

Jingle Bells Rag Progress

I have learned all of the notes to Jingle Bells Rag. Now for the real challenge: coordinating everything and getting it up to speed. It is a challenge I don't want to underestimate, or I will end up feeling discouraged.

Comparison of Sections

The crossed-hands section is by far the easiest. I learned it yesterday and played it through several times this morning, and it's pretty smooth. I'll need to drill the part where I go down to the low C, but it's otherwise good.

The final section is by far the most challenging. I posted on it a few days ago, and I must admit, I'm still slowing down when I get to part where the right hand jumps around. (It's at 4:05 in the video below.) But it's a lot smoother than it was last week, so that's progress.

The rest of the piece is similar to the first part of the final section (starting at 3:00 in the video below), only an octave down. There is a short ragtimey section that is similar to Section B of Bare Necessities, and my main challenge there is that I keep switching to Bare Necessities at first because they start the same way. But the section itself isn't too bad--just your garden-variety rag-rolls.

The Biggest Challenge

The hardest part, as I explain in the video will be getting it up to speed. Right now I'm playing it at a slow-as-molasses pace, so I have a lot of work to do there. I'll continue with the slow practice for a few weeks, upping the metronome a few notches with each practice. I'll alternate that with the occasional fast-practice sessions to exercise the fast-twitch muscles. It should all come together after lots and lots of practice.

For now, here is the final page and a half. I ramble a bit in this video. The actual song starts at 3:00. (Note/Correction: I state in the video that the arrangement is by Jonny May, but it's actually by Johnny Hodges. I also refer to different sections as "easy," where a more appropriate word would have been "simple.")


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a