Skip to main content

Hymn Arranging: The Old Rugged Cross

I got through my dad's funeral all right. It was actually a lovely service, and even though it was sad, I thought it was a wonderful way to honor my dad.

Each member of my family had some sort of role in the service. My daughter led the Lord's Prayer, and my nieces read Scripture verses. My brother carried in the ashes. My husband, my sister, and, surprisingly, my mom stood up and spoke for a few minutes during the remembrances section. And, of course, I played the piano. I ended up doing a medley of two hymns: a contemporary/reflective version of "In the Garden," and the contemporary/bluesy mashup of "The Old Rugged Cross" that I shared here a few days ago.

I'm developing the bluesy version of "The Old Rugged Cross" into a standalone piece. I've written out the lead sheet and am studying the various concepts from PWJ's "Amazing Grace" Slow Gospel Blues course. I have a lot of work to do, but I'm excited about it. Yes, I am still living in the pit of despair, but the prospect of arranging this hymn is making it bearable.

Here is a more polished version of what I posted the other day. This version is a little fast, and my motions seem very jerky ... not sure what's up with that. Anyway, I'll be sharing later versions of this hymn it as I develop them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...