Skip to main content

Weekend Goals, June 13-15

I don't even know where to begin with this weekend's goals. June has not been a great month for piano practice. I was out of town and piano-less the first weekend of June, and then I was out of town and piano-less for four days this past week. My daughter comes home from camp this afternoon and Sunday is Father's Day, so it will be a more family-focused weekend than usual. (As it should be.) Still, I should be able to get an couple hours' work of practice in on both Saturday and Sunday.

Hanon and Scales

Continue working on my 3-4-5 finger strengthening exercises with Hanon, as well as the octave exercises. (I'm on a mad mission to learn to relax my hands as much as possible when playing scales.) Finish up Db major and Bb minor scales and move on to Ab major and F minor.

SMART GOAL: Db major and Bb minor at between 100 and 130 (parallel and contrary).

Lead Sheets

I didn't get past Lesson 1 (Circle of Fifths Progression/Fly On By/etc.) this week, so I will continue working on it. Mainly, I want to explore a few more jazz standards that use this progression, and maybe a few other songs for fun. I found this video on YouTube that goes through many popular songs (some of which I even know!) that use the Circle of Fifths.

I also want to just ... play. Make stuff up. Explore this progression, which I feel like I've known forever but have never seriously explored because it's "so cliche." I'm an idiot.

SMART GOAL: Something to share on the PWJ Facebook page; possibly playing "Fly On By" in two or three different keys.

Bare Necessities

I need to continue the slow practice with this one! I also need to polish the crossed-hands and kiddie sections. They're the easiest sections, and, as with most "easy" sections of any piece I learn, I haven't given them enough time and attention. In addition to devoting a couple of short practice sessions to each of these, I want to play through the whole piece (or individual sections) multiple times, slowly. Cementing it all in my brain and in my hands.

SMART GOAL: Be able to play the crossed-hands and kid sections without pausing and without having a memory lapse; play through each section of BN slowly, not speeding up, at least five times each day.

Mozart, Rondo alla Turca

I feel like I am neglecting the Rondo. I haven't put nearly as much work into it this month as I have Bare Necessities. I've even spent more hours on my PWJ Blues course. Why?

I feel stuck. I can play the piece, and it sounds pretty good, for the most part. The broken-octave section and the coda both still sound very sloppy, and I don't know why. It's very frustrating. I feel like I need someone older and wiser to walk me through this because I don't know what I need to do to make these sections better. I'm going to continue playing through them slowly, but I'll also do some grouping/fast-twitch work with the scale passages and the Alberti bass section of the coda. Hopefully, Eric will be able to give me some insights when we meet on Tuesday.

SMART GOAL: Play through the problem sections very slowly at least ten times each day, preferably more; play through the whole piece slowly multiple times, not speeding up; do grouping/fast-twitch drills as "maintenance" work in preparation for Tuesday's lesson.

Blues

I have made it to Lesson 9! This lesson focuses on runs, and there are six of them. I want to devote a good amount of time to each run, memorizing each one and practicing them until I can play them all smoothly and without having to work too hard. I don't know if I'll get them all covered this weekend, but I should get a good start on them.

SMART GOAL: By the end of the weekend, be able to play at least three of the runs perfectly and with ease. Each day, jam using the backing track at least five times.

Maintenance Pieces

I'm trying to learn to play "Maple Leaf Rag" while reading a book out loud. I know that sounds crazy, but Jonny recommends it as a way of learning to make your playing more automatic. I tried it for the first time Wednesday night, and it was a disaster! But I'm excited about challenging myself this way.

I'll also continue to review the Chopin; I might do the reading-while-playing for it, too. The masterclass thing, as it turns out, isn't a sure thing, though I did tell Eric that I'd like to do it.

SMART GOALS: Play while reading aloud. Finish up by playing the piece without reading, just to get a "good" version back in my mind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a