Skip to main content

Bare Necessities: 3 Problem Areas

Bare Necessities is coming along nicely. I can play the whole thing at 120, and most of it at 140 or 150. It's supposed to be at 200-something, so it's still not up to speed ... but I am definitely making progress. There are a few small "problem areas" where I still struggle. All three of them are in the ragtime section, and they are the focus for today's blog post. Just a warning that the accompanying videos are very boring because they show me drilling these sections. My hope is that they'll be helpful for someone down the road who is trying to learn this same piece.

Problem Area #1: Measure 55

This is the end of the verse that goes "just the bare necessities of life." I would put a photo of the measure here, but I don't want to break any copyright rules. So I'll describe it: The right hand is playing octave quarter notes, going down an A minor chord (E to C to A), finishing on G. The left hand is doing single-note jumps: It jumps from a low D to an F# in the next octave, and then it reaches down a major 7th to the G, and then up a minor 7th to F natural. So, not a ton of jumping, but, for some reason, I've had difficulty with this section.

Here is my drilling video for this measure:

Problem Area #2: Measures 60-61

These are my favorite measures of the whole piece! They're repeated again in measures 140-141. I love them so much. If you know the lyrics, it's the second part of the "Wherever I wander, wherever I roam" line. The left hand is playing a stride C chord while the right hand repeats the same little motif three times in a row, each time jumping down an octave. The left hand jumps down the octaves as well. It's delightful to listen to, but it's tricky to play! I really, really want to get this part right because I love it so much, so I'm putting the extra work into it.

Here's the drilling video:

Problem Area #3: Measures 74-77/154-157

These two measures are where Baloo sings "and maybe try a few." The arrangement has me doing a C chord in octaves, and then an A arpeggio, and then a jump back down to E ... and it's tricky. Here is a boring video of me working through it (and then rambling at the end):

I've done these same drills multiple times, and progress has been slow ... but I'm progressing. I made this video several days ago, and I'm now consistently making the jump and not missing the notes.

Finishing Up ...

I'm also continuing to work on the outro, which is coming along. It's no longer a "problem area," though. I've got it down pretty solidly, and now I'm just working on speed--which is a little tricky because of the octaves, inner notes, and syncopation (basically everything).

I'll conclude this little blog post with a video of me playing the stride sections of Bare Necessities. I hit a snag at measure 55 and apparently stop the video there. Sorry! I'll get it one of these days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a