Skip to main content

Weekend Goals, June 7-9

How is it already Friday? It's time to think about my weekend piano goals. This weekend will be a little weird in that I'm leaving for North Carolina on Sunday afternoon, so I may not get as much practice in on Sunday as I might otherwise. Anyway, here are the goals.

Scales/Hanon

Get the Db major and Bb minor scales up to speed (between 100 and 130 for parallel and contrary). I've worked on these a little each day, and I'm getting there. As for Hanon, I just want to continue doing one or two Hanon exercises a day. I'm mostly doing stuff from Exercises 1-20, though I'm mixing in the octave exercises as well.

Rondo alla Turca

Continue with the slow practice. Continue refining the first few sections, and continue to drill the broken-octaves section and the coda. Those last two sections don't sound nearly as good to me as the other sections, and I honestly think that more slow practice is the key, which as few fast-twitch drills thrown in for certain areas where I find myself pausing. I do need to start working on speed for the entire piece, but I'm not going to do that until I have these last two sections locked in.

Bare Necessities

Continue the slow practice of the entire piece, and work on a few sections that I'm still struggling with. That includes the outro and a couple of short passages of the ragtime section. By the end of the weekend, I want those three sections to no longer be a problem. For the moment, they're keeping me from increasing my speed even a little.

Blues

Keep jamming and improvising! Work on the blues song I've written. And go through Lesson 9 of the 10-Lesson Blues Challenge. (I may wait until early next week to do this, as I'll be in NC and working from a keyboard instead of a full piano.)

Lead Sheets

Continue working on "Fly Me To the Moon," "Autumn Leaves," and "All The Things You Are." Come up with a version of "Fly On By" (Jonny's tune for Lesson 1) that I can share here. (My plan is to do Lesson 2 of this course while in NC.)

Maintenance

I've been working to get both the Chopin and Maple Leaf Rag back up to speed. For the weekend, I just want to continue playing MLR at a manageable pace (metronome 88 or so), and continue drilling different sections of the Chopin in preparation for the September masterclass.

And that's it! It will be a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...