Skip to main content

Weekend Goals, June 7-9

How is it already Friday? It's time to think about my weekend piano goals. This weekend will be a little weird in that I'm leaving for North Carolina on Sunday afternoon, so I may not get as much practice in on Sunday as I might otherwise. Anyway, here are the goals.

Scales/Hanon

Get the Db major and Bb minor scales up to speed (between 100 and 130 for parallel and contrary). I've worked on these a little each day, and I'm getting there. As for Hanon, I just want to continue doing one or two Hanon exercises a day. I'm mostly doing stuff from Exercises 1-20, though I'm mixing in the octave exercises as well.

Rondo alla Turca

Continue with the slow practice. Continue refining the first few sections, and continue to drill the broken-octaves section and the coda. Those last two sections don't sound nearly as good to me as the other sections, and I honestly think that more slow practice is the key, which as few fast-twitch drills thrown in for certain areas where I find myself pausing. I do need to start working on speed for the entire piece, but I'm not going to do that until I have these last two sections locked in.

Bare Necessities

Continue the slow practice of the entire piece, and work on a few sections that I'm still struggling with. That includes the outro and a couple of short passages of the ragtime section. By the end of the weekend, I want those three sections to no longer be a problem. For the moment, they're keeping me from increasing my speed even a little.

Blues

Keep jamming and improvising! Work on the blues song I've written. And go through Lesson 9 of the 10-Lesson Blues Challenge. (I may wait until early next week to do this, as I'll be in NC and working from a keyboard instead of a full piano.)

Lead Sheets

Continue working on "Fly Me To the Moon," "Autumn Leaves," and "All The Things You Are." Come up with a version of "Fly On By" (Jonny's tune for Lesson 1) that I can share here. (My plan is to do Lesson 2 of this course while in NC.)

Maintenance

I've been working to get both the Chopin and Maple Leaf Rag back up to speed. For the weekend, I just want to continue playing MLR at a manageable pace (metronome 88 or so), and continue drilling different sections of the Chopin in preparation for the September masterclass.

And that's it! It will be a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a