Skip to main content

Weekend Piano Goals (May 24-26)

I haven't written a goals post in a couple of weeks, so I'll post this one a day early.

SCALES

Sadly, the Tonebase Two-Week Intensive on Gb/eb really threw me off my routine. Because I was doing it for a "class," I lost all my motivation. So by the end of the first week, I wasn't playing the scales much better than I had the week before. This was disappointing, particularly after the crazy progress I've been making on scales each week up to now. I have extended my Gb/eb work to this week (and I'm still not motivated), but I'm going to switch over to Db/bb Saturday morning and do quite a bit of drill work on those two scales over the weekend. My goal is to have them to at least 100bpm in contrary motion, and up to 120bpm in parallel motion, by the end of the day Monday.

FOUNDATIONS:

My time studying seventh chords, which started back in February, is coming to an end. I've been working on diminished and half-diminished sevenths this month, but these haven't been as interesting as the majors, dominants, and minors. I've worked hard to learn the patterns and the shapes of the chords and their inversions, but I haven't worked as hard on being able to play the block and broken chords/inversion exercises at speed. I do think part of me is ready to move on to The Next Thing.

What is The Next Big Thing? It's a course titled "Play Piano Lead Sheets with 7th Chords." I took a sneak peek a few days ago, and I'm seeing that this course is less like the 7ths courses and more like the blues course. I want the Foundations work to continue to be a part of my warm-up routine each day, so that will mean some changes coming in June. I'm not sure yet what those will look like. Maybe I'll figure some of that out this weekend.

MOZART, RONDO ALLA TURCA

Good news! I've learned the whole piece! I still need to memorize the coda, which shouldn't be hard -- there are only three main chords (A, D, E), as well as a lot of repetition. I also want to focus on drilling the various scale passages so that they're smooth as glass.

BARE NECESSITIES

Good news! I'm making progress on the outro! It's not easy to reach and play some of the notes, but the structure of it is very simple--basic chords in the left hand, and a climbing chromatic scale, in octaves, in the right. This weekend's task is to do lots of repetitions + memorize it. I also want to begin learning the crossed-hands section. If it's as easy as I think it's going to be, and if I'm able to practice for as many hours as I'd like, I may shoot to have it learned, and maybe even memorized, by end of day Monday.

BLUES

I've made it to Lesson 8! This lesson focuses on 10 different licks to memorize. I've already watched the lesson, and some of those 10 licks are variations on others, so that makes it a little less daunting. I'll still be living with this lesson for a couple of weeks. For the past two weeks, I've focused on creating lines and using all of the other things I've learned -- slides, harmonization, turns, and rolls. Some days I sound great and other days I sound terrible. What's important is that I keep showing up.

CHOPIN and MAPLE LEAF RAG

I've long graduated from these pieces, but I still haven't made my "recital videos." I'd like to do that on Monday if I can. I've put some work into them this weekend, not every day, and I'm a lot more confident with both of them. I'd done a lot of "playing while reading a book," an exercise suggested by Jonny May. And it's helped, particularly with the Chopin! There is something valuable in learning to play something well while not focusing on it 100%.

So, that will be my piano weekend. I have some big goals, and I'm fully aware that I may not achieve them all. What's that saying about if you shoot for the stars, you'll at least reach the moon? Yes. That's the idea. Good luck to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a