Skip to main content

Rondo alla Turca: Octave Trouble

At my piano lesson Tuesday, Eric pointed out the fact that I wasn't playing my white-key octaves cleanly in the broken-octaves section of Rondo alla Turca. The "B" was particularly sloppy; I was brushing its "C" neighbor with my thumb each time.

Horrors!

Seriously, this is why I have a piano teacher, even though I already know how to play the piano. Because I know I have blind spots. I had no idea that those white-key octaves weren't clean as a whistle, probably because I'm listening to two versions of the piece as I play: the version in my head, and the version at my fingertips.

I found a brief but helpful "lesson" on YouTube, where Noriko Ogawa had some good advice:

Chromatic/scale sections: Don't overpower the left hand, but make sure the arpeggio is audible. Right hand should be full of energy.

Look into each phrase with a magnifying glass and think about how you want to phrase each one. (This is great advice for any piece of music!)

Broken octave section: Practice with hands very close to the keyboard. Should not be a lot of movement/twisting of the hands/wrist.

Coda: Emphasize the percussive effects; imitate percussive instruments.

Remain very lively throughout! (Yay!)

Good advice. I'm going to take it all. For the octaves, I'm going to work slowly on some Hanon exercises, really focusing on both accuracy and economy of movement. I've been treating these octaves kind of like tremolos, pivoting from my wrist, and maybe I need to to less of that -- or at least lesson the movement, which I can do if I keep my hands a little closer to the keyboard.

Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend to make a few videos and share them here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...