Skip to main content

Goals for a Portable-Keyboard Week

Each Sunday or Monday, I sit down to think about my piano goals for the week. This week is going to be a little unusual because I'll be traveling Tuesday through Saturday night and won't have a piano handy. I'll have my Yamaha 61-key keyboard, but that's not quite the same thing. Still, I'm going to set some goals. 

Chopin and Maple Leaf - Take a break. I've gone at these two pieces pretty hard over the last couple of weeks. I'm happy with the progress I've made (in fact, I'm close to being "done" with both of these), and I don't think a break will hurt. It could even help.

Dominant Sevenths - Work on improvising. I've put in a lot of work on exercises, but I haven't done much in the way of improvising on them. I have a few little tunes, plus some lead sheets, so this will be a good opportunity to just have some fun noodling around with what I've learned this month.

Blues - Continue working on blues-scale exercises, and also work on improvising with the blues scale. Since so much of blues is built on dominant sevenths, I can combine this with my dominant seventh work. Also: listen, listen, listen! I'll have lots of time in the car, which will be perfect for listening to blues and other styles.

Bare Necessities - Continue to work on memorizing. I've memorized page 1, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through page 2. By the time I get back from traveling, I should have both pages by memory and should be ready (finally) to move on to the ragtime section.

Scales - I can't practice my usual patterns when I only have 61 keys, so I may just work on those minor scales that are still tripping me up in contrary motion.

I'm not thrilled that I'll be away from the piano for such a long time, and I'm going to miss Chopin and Maple Leaf Rag, but such is life. I'll just have to make up for lost piano time when I get back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...