Skip to main content

The Challenging Blues Challenge

Apologies for the very rambling post yesterday. I'm a writer, and you'd my blog posts would be neat, self-contained nuggets of clear writing, but ... well, they aren't even close to that. This blog is where I tend to let it all hang loose, and by "it," I mean entire paragraphs, as well as redundant phrases, misplaced modifiers, overly long sentences, and all the rest.

Today's post is different. I've been working on the "10 Lesson Blues Challenge" over at Piano With Jonny. I've been in Lesson 3 for a couple of weeks, not making great progress. But now that I'm in North Carolina for a few days with nothing but a 61-key keyboard, I've set Chopin, Maple Leaf, and even Bare Necessities aside to focus on blues.

Lesson 3 begins by teaching the blues scale, which was review for me because I've known the blues scale for literally decades. I never really new what to do with it, but it seems like I've always known the notes.

As with most "reviews" I've done on the PWJ site, this blues scale lesson has challenged and stretched my limits. The first challenge is being able to play the blues scale in eighth notes and in triplets ... easy enough, right? No. At least not when you're playing the blues shuffle in the left hand. And then there are the exercises where you're playing patterns of three and six ... and honestly, learning these reminded me of when I learned my first fugue. Or when I was trying to learn the contrary-motion scales.

I'm posting this video, which is full of errors, but hopefully it will give you a sense of how challenging this blues shuffle/blues scale coordination really is. I have come a VERY long way from where I started, but as you can see, I still have a VERY long way to go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...