Skip to main content

Ode to Joy, Day 10: Working in Chunks

In my journey through the Learn New Repertoire Faster Challenge at Piano with Rebecca B, I’ve reached Day 10 of Jonny May’s stride arrangement of Ode to Joy. Each day of the challenge has a particular topic, and today’s topic is chunking (focusing on small chunks of just one or two measures). This is a regular practice technique for me, and I’ve been using it a lot lately.

Day 10

Today I continued with Batch 3 (measures 48–59) and reintroduced Batch 2 (measures 24–31 and 40–47) into the rotation. I started this morning with Batch 2. My chunking work consisted of 4-minute sessions on 1- or 2-measure sections before moving to the next one for another four minutes. I rotated through four different chunks, hitting each one twice, for a total of about 35 minutes.

I was pleased to find I retained most of what I worked on last week. I did need to clean up a few spots, including the one where I had changed the fingering. It turns out the original works better, so I had the unlovely task of unlearning what I’d practiced a few days ago.

The A solo section of Batch 2 took a little longer to come back and still needs some solidifying. I didn’t spend much time on it this morning since the session was short, but I’ll return to it next time.

I also reviewed my problem spots in Batch 3, though they’re not really problems anymore. It’s striking how difficult they felt two days ago and how they now come out slowly but smoothly.

Where I Am Now

I’m halfway through the piece, and since the second half includes some repeats, I’m probably even more than halfway. Tomorrow I begin Batch 4, which includes some of the most difficult measures of the piece.

What’s been surprising is how quickly things come together. Measures that feel insurmountable on Day 1 sound pretty good by Day 3. And after two days away from a batch, it doesn’t come back instantly, but it does come back.

That’s been one of the biggest benefits of the LNRF schedule. Normally I’d stay on one section until I could play it smoothly at a decent tempo, then move on. The downside was that by the time I reached the final section, a lot of time had passed and the earlier sections had gotten rough.

The LNRF challenge format not only breaks the music down into manageable sections, but it keeps everything in rotation, so I’m regularly revisiting material. It’s easier to bring "resting sections" back quickly and retain everything more effectively.

Video from This Morning’s Practice Session

I’m not thrilled with this video. I play a few wrong notes and didn’t notice until I watched it back. Still, that’s part of the point. Without the recording, I might have kept repeating them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...