Skip to main content

Scales

When I spoke with my new piano teacher, we talked a bit about scales. What scales did I know? How did I practice them, back in the days when I used to practice?

I demonstrated my usual routine using C major: With the metronome, one octave in parallel motion, with one note per beat. Then two octaves in contrary motion with two notes per beat. Then three octaves in parallel, three notes per beat. And finally four octaves in contrary with four notes per beat. And then rinse and repeat with the relative minor.

So she said, "All twelve each day might be a little much, so let's make it six per day."

Gulp.

With Deborah, I did one per week: one major scale, with the relative minor. And then the inversions and arpeggios.

Six scales per day? And with the relative minors, that's twelve!

Soooo ... I have some work to do.

I've been under the weather for a few days and haven't played much, but I managed to play scales in six keys tonight (actually twelve, including relative minors): C through F. All of the white keys were a breeze, as were C minor, D minor, and E minor. C# minor, E-flat minor, and F minor ... not so much. I'd been playing with the metronome on 60, but I had to slow down to 44 for those three.

Tomorrow I play F through B. Somehow I think I'm going to spend more time down in the 40's tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I should stick with relative minors, or just do majors and minors in the same keys each time. For example, do I practice the majors and minors from C to F like I did tonight? Or do I do C major through F major, and then A minor through D minor? In pairs? As in C major/A minor, D-flat major/B-flat minor, D major/B minor, etc? I think maybe.

Then again, maybe not.

I can experiment. Play around. This is very new to me, this scale thing. I'm sure I did scales in college, but it wasn't until I worked with Deborah that I started to play them all in contrary motion. Only then did I really learn my scales (even though learning contrary motion was quite the struggle).

I'm kind of happy to be working on scales. I've always loved scales. Once upon a time, I could fly right through them. I can't do that now ... but it will be nice to be able to do that again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...