Skip to main content

First Piano Lesson, and First "Real" Practice

I had my first piano lesson! Followed by my first "real" practice, where I'm actually working on something that an older, wiser pianist (my new piano teacher, Carol) told me to work on!

I have been under the weather for several days and wasn't sure if I should keep the lesson appointment, but I did, and I'm glad I did. I now have "assignments" to keep me nice and busy until next time.

At today's practice, I focused on several things:

Scales

Scales! My beloved scales! I focused on the majors today, seeing which ones of those I really could play at 60. Everything sounded fine, except for Eb, Gb, and Ab. Of course, the black keys. So I spent a bit more time on those and worked them up to 60 pretty quickly.

They were all in my brain at some point. There was a time that I could play all of them at much faster than 60. Still, I was surprised that just a few minutes' focus on some trouble spots rendered nice, smooth scales at 60.

I will focus on minors tonight and tomorrow. Somehow I don't think they're going to come back to me so readily. But who knows? Maybe they'll surprise me. "Waterfall, we've been waiting for you! Let's play!"

Bach

I'm practicing the prelude very slowly, with the metronome, and I'm starting at the very end. Today my focus was on measures 20, 19, 18, and 17. In that order.


The notes really aren't that hard; they're mostly scales and arpeggios. At some point, this piece will be lightning fast, but for now I'm moving slowly, so slowly that I can't miss a note. I want to make sure I'm playing evenly, and that I have the timing right, with a good sense where things fall from beat to beat in each measure. I don't think this will be very difficult to learn, note-wise. The challenge will be in achieving a good tone, playing evenly, and ultimately getting it up to speed. I had the loveliest time working on this today.

Schubert

Note-wise, the Schubert is the most difficult piece I'm working on right now. As with the Bach, I'm starting at the very end:

There is quite a bit of repetition, which why I was able to cover eleven brand-new measures in a single sitting. For example, measures 276 through 279 are all the same thing: a downward Eb-minor scale that's missing a D. Over and over again, just different octaves. The left hand, meanwhile, is going from Eb minor to Ab minor, back and forth. And then that's all it does in measures 280-281. Then we have a Bb, and then an Eb-minor chord, and we're done

Measures 273 and 275 are a little tricky because they're similar (same chords) but different (different inversions), and they're separated by that Eb-minor measure. They're pretty easy to play separately, and they're not bad if I play them one after the other ... but for some reason, having that Eb-minor chord in measure 274 throws me off.

So I spent quite a bit of time working on the transitions on either side of measure 274.

After some drilling on that, I worked on the whole little section:


And then, all three full measures.

So now I can play it slowly, but it's even, and that's what's important. The speed will come. (And this is another piece that's going to be very fast someday!)

I also spent some time on Hanon and did a few minutes of sight-reading from my old Easy Classics to Moderns book.

I love weekends. No way will I be able to spend this much time practicing during the week. But on the weekends? I can make time for piano.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Just adding a picture for now

I may be posting to this blog soon, for the first time in many years. For now, though, I just need to post this picture so that I can link it to a post on the Piano Forums. It's of a very dusty and unused piano that I may be getting for free. I've never heard of Campbell & Young (at least, that's what I think this says). I've heard of Kohler & Campbell, and I've heard of Young Chang ... did the two merge? So many questions, and Google has been no help.

The Key is Turning

About three weeks ago (has it only been three weeks?), I posted The Rusty Lock and Key , about how there seems to be a locked door between where I am and where I want to be with regards to the piano. I wrote with a sense of hope, but, at the same time, I knew it would take time for me to break out of that dark little room. And it would take dedication and perseverance—two things I’ve been lacking. Yes, it would be a while before the key started to turn. Months, most likely. Or years. Well. It’s been three weeks, and the key is starting to turn. I’m not there yet, but I have a whole new sense of hope. This is due to several things: Quentin – This is the guy I’ll be meeting monthly for jazz piano lessons. We’ve only met once so far, but he gave me some valuable exercises that I’ve been doing assiduously every morning before work. The Mark Levine Book  – I’ve had this book for years and never got past the third chapter because I couldn’t understand it. I went ahead and skipped that chapte