Skip to main content

September Achievements, October Goals

 


September Highlights

September was a good month for piano. Here are a few standouts:

  • Played Jonny May's "Ode to Joy Rag" in the PWJ recital on Sept. 10.
  • Got to have an in-person piano lesson with Ethan (my ragtime teacher) on Sept. 12, then have dinner with his family and see him perform that night.
  • Completed the Piano With Jonny (PWJ) Chord Shells and Guide Tones Exercises course.
  • Completed Lesson 1 (Cycle of Fifths Progression) of the PWJ Play Lead Sheets with Chord Shells and Guide Tones course.
  • Participated in a short-term PWJ challenge last weekend to come up with something interesting from a chord progression. I came up with a fun ragtime bit, made a short video, posted it, and was done—all in about 10 minutes!
  • Made a "graduation video" for "Over the Rainbow."
  • Made a lot of progress learning the LSU Fight Song ("Hey, Fightin' Tigers") from a lead sheet.
  • Played at a local assisted living facility on Sept. 26 and did well on everything except poor "Edelweiss," which I butchered despite it being easy and despite my having practiced it that morning.
  • Practiced almost 70 hours (and possibly will hit 70 by the end of the month).

Wow! That is more than I realized, so I'm glad I thought to list everything. Just wow.

I definitely have momentum right now. I'm working on several arranging projects, and I'll soon be starting Lesson 2 of the PWJ lead sheets course. There is quite a bit of overlap there; even though the PWJ course focuses specifically on chord shells, they're both about reading lead sheets, which is becoming much easier with practice.

October Goals

So, my goals for October—which I have not thought about until right now—are:

  • Finish my arrangement of "When You Wish Upon a Star."
  • Learn some autumn-themed songs ("Autumn Leaves," "Take Me Out to the Ball Game") from lead sheets for the assisted living place.
  • Start learning the lead sheets for "Georgia on My Mind" and "On the Sunny Side of the Street."
  • Complete two more lessons of the PWJ lead sheets course.
  • Schedule another in-person piano lesson with Ethan, if weekend schedules allow.
  • Play at the assisted living facility in mid-October (this is already scheduled).

I would also like to make a good video of "Ode to Joy Rag" in October if I don't manage to make one in September. I didn't play particularly well at the recital, and I would really like to have a good video as proof that I really can play this!

So, those are the goals. I'll write about my progress toward them throughout the month.

A Good Place to Be

I am so happy these days. I just feel so thankful—for Piano with Jonny, for Ethan, for my online piano communities, and for all of the work I've done, not just in the past few years but throughout my life, that has enabled me to play at the level I'm playing now.

None of that time and effort was wasted, though I've had my doubts over the years. I also no longer feel regretful about not learning all of this earlier, about not being more serious about piano earlier. I felt that way for a long time. But now? I'm where I am, and it's a pretty good place to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...