Skip to main content

September 2025 Recap, and Looking Ahead to October

September had a slow start, but I still logged 37.1 hours of practice, averaging about 1.2 hours a day! My top projects were Liszt (7.1 hours), Bare Necessities (6 hours), technique (6 hours), America the Beautiful Rag (3.1 hours), and the PWJ Lead Sheets course (3 hours). I also kicked off Honky Tonk Women and worked on St. Louis Blues/G blues improv.

September Highlights

In the past month, I managed to:

  • Prepare Liszt for my upcoming Piano With Rebecca performance this Saturday.
  • Master Jonny’s St. Louis Blues Challenge.
  • Keep my maintenance pieces performance-ready.
  • Start reviving Jingle Bells Rag for the holidays.
  • Be seriously inspired by Chuck Leavell’s live performance!
  • Realize I want to shift focus away from "playing by the dots" and more toward improvising, arranging, composing, and playing by ear.
  • Revive Bare Necessities to near-performance level—check out this video of the first section! (Apologies for the weird angle!)
  

I also hit my percentage goals and made solid progress despite a busy month. Whew!

October Piano Goals: A Packed Playlist!

My October spreadsheet is a glorious mess!! I'm not too worried about it, though, as I've found I progress faster if I practice mostly in snippets of 10-20 minutes per piece/project, and if I don't do the same music every single day. This requires a bit of a "spinning plates" approach that I don't love, but it's necessary for now ... and it works!

Let's look at my October plans, breaking it down by percentage goals for the month.

Technique/Foundations (10%): Scales, arpeggios, and ear training (for days I'm traveling and can't practice), plus PWJ Lead Sheets course for improv practice.

Ragtime (32.5%): Polishing (and speeding up) Bare Necessities and Jingle Bells Rag, plus writing my Pianeaux Rag arrangements. I'll also work on my Scott Joplin rags on Maintenance days.

Blues/Improv (32.5%): Honky Tonk Women (with left-hand groove and right-hand riff exercises), G and C blues improv, and maintaining Amazing Grace and St. Louis Blues. I'll also be setting up a private IROCKU lesson for Honky Tonk Women.

Classical (20%): Prepping Liszt's Liebestraume No. 3 for the October 4 performance, learning and memorizing Chopin's Waltz in A Minor, and maintaining Mozart's Rondo alla Turca.

Songs (5%): Jazz standards like Misty, my arrangement of What a Wonderful World, and a new Christmas project. 

I may shift 5% from Classical to Songs if the Christmas project grows. We'll see. For now, I'm excited to dive into October's musical chaos and start those plates spinning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...