Skip to main content

It's Here! But ...

Liebesträume arrived yesterday! I am so excited!

Last night I sat down and sight-read the whole thing, even the cadenza(?) sections.

It's going to be a challenge. Some sections are going to require more work than others. But it's definitely doable.

However ...

A Change of Plans, and Why

I'm going to set Liebesträume aside for a few weeks. Last night as I looked at my percentage goals, I realized one of the downsides of having a lot of piano projects on my plate, and it is this:

Even if I meet all of my percentage goals, each project will get so little focus that progress will be negligible. I expect to have Solace, Jingle Bells Rag, and Amazing Grace all "in the bag" by the end of the month, but that expectation simply isn't realistic, considering the amount of time I'll be able to give each of them.

When I start the Liszt, I want to be able to devote a good chunk of my practice time (25% or 30%) to it. But if I do that now, my many other projects will barely get any time at all.

So. I've removed Liszt from my projects for now and adjusted my percentage goals. Here are the new goals. (Click here for the old ones, for comparison.)

As shown above, Jingle Bells Rag, Solace, and the maintenance pieces now get a full 20% of my practice time, and Amazing Grace gets 10%. I've also upped my Old Rugged Cross percentage to 10% and Blues Theory and Practice to 15%. I think these are more realistic goals, considering how much time I think each project needs in order for me to progress.

Updated Monthly Goals

It's possible that I will still begin working on the Liszt in October, but I'm not pressuring myself to do so. Here are my updated goals for October/November:

October

  • Have Jingle Bells Rag and Solace memorized performance-ready; move these to pieces to maintenance.
  • Have Amazing Grace, including the intro, outro, and solo/improv, performance ready; move to maintenance.
  • Make significant progress on The Old Rugged Cross. While I'd like to have the whole arrangement written and performance-ready by the end of October, I'm not sure that is a realistic goal, as I've never done this kind of project before.
  • Have all maintenance pieces continue to be performance-ready.
  • Complete the major blues scale course on PWJ. This includes developing the ability to play the scale, with LH accompaniment, in all keys.
  • Continue to review the other blues courses so that, should I happen upon a public piano, I would be able to improvise long enough to impress people. :)

November

  • Begin work on two to three new pieces to replace Jingle Bells, Solace, and Amazing Grace. These will include Liebesträume and one or two others, mostly likely The Entertainer (a re-learn) and/or Jonny May's rhumba arrangement of Silent Night.
  • Continue to keep up with the maintenance pieces.
  • Complete the Blues Foundations courses and be ready to begin the Bible of Blues Riffs course (Blues Improvisation Section of PWJ) by the beginning of the year, if not sooner.
I feel a lot better about these goals. They are more realistic, and I'll be able to spend more time on each project. And when it's time to start Liebesträume, I'll be ready to dive in and give it much more attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a