Skip to main content

Hot Potato Practice and the Silent Pick-up Beat

Yes, this is possibly the cheesiest graphic I've ever used on this blog ... and that's saying something.

I wish I had a video to share, but I had to practice on the headphones last night. So you get the cheesy graphic instead.

Hitting the Speed Wall

At my piano lesson Monday afternoon, I lamented my inability to play "Bare Necessities" and "Jingle Bells" at a lightning-fast tempo. I've been particularly frustrated about "Bare Necessities." I mean, I can play it pretty well at 100, but if I get any faster than that, the whole thing (meaning the "B" section, which is the ragtime section, as well as the final section/outro) falls apart.

I had made some slight progress last week when I tried touching the keys more lightly; it is, of course, easier to play fast when you're not going all the way down on the keys. But I was still making sloppy errors -- missing notes, accidentally grabbing an inner note when playing an octave, etc.

I was discouraged. So I asked my piano teacher if he had any ideas for how I could play ragtime faster. I've tried the usual approaches (slow practice, chunking, rhythms, etc.), and I still seem to be hitting a wall.

He didn't have any ideas but suggested that I email Jonny himself to see what he would say. Of course, I am way too shy to email the Great Jonny May. And I also didn't want to have to wait three weeks to get a response through the PWJ Q&A feature.

Ragtime Crash Course & Hot Potato Practice

I decided to re-watch Jonny's Ragtime Crash Course 2 instead. In that video, he talks about how he has his students play "hot potato" with the left hand -- striking the keys at a short staccato so that you can get your hand quickly to where it needs to go next.

So. Hot Potato. It's the go-to metaphor when you're teaching beginners how to play staccato, but I hadn't thought about it in the context of playing ragtime. I've practiced the quick movements, but I haven't practiced playing everything in a "hot potato" staccato in order to facilitate the quick movements. So I tried that last night, first with Jingle Bells Rag, and then with Bare Necessities.

Breakdown of My Long, Slow, Focused Practice

I started with practicing hands separately, and playing very slowly -- at about 48 or 50. This was partly to ensure that I had the notes down cold. After getting each hand up to 70 with no errors (it took longer than I would have thought), I put the hands together and had to go all the way back to 48 or 50.

The good thing about the slow practice was that I could really focus on getting my hands to where they needed to be next, in plenty of time. I even felt myself imagining a kind of "pick-up" beat a fraction of a second before each note; that silent beat is the "sound" of my fingers reaching their destination, just before they strike the keys.

As I incrementally increased the speed, the silent pick-up beat followed suit. I found that I was "listening" to the pick-up beat more, and striking the actual keys was almost an afterthought.

I don't know if that makes sense. I do know that I got up to about 80 with both pieces, playing with no errors. I did the same slow, focused work on the Bare Necessities outro as well. It made for a long practice, but it was worth it.

I will continue the "hot potato" work as long as I need to. I think, as my speed increases even further, the "hot potato" feel is going to become more natural because the short staccato will be all that I have time for.

When I get these pieces up to 120 or so, I'll share videos here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

March Goals Recap/Looking Ahead to April

It's April 1, and time to revisit the goals I set for last month. I practiced a total of 50.45 hours in March, averaging 1.62 hours (or just over an hour and a half) per day. Realistically, I practice about 45 minutes to an hour a day on weekdays, and I usually get at least one longer practice (or multiple shorter practices) in on one or both days of the weekend to bring the average up. CLASSICAL GOALS Chopin, F Minor Nocturne March Goal: Have entire piece by memory and performance-ready. I have about 90% of the piece by memory, but I still have some work to do before it's performance-ready. The only two sections that I don't quite have are "The Agitation" and the "stretto" section with the seventh chords. I'll work on both this week and will have them both memorized before the weekend. April Goal: Finish memorizing, and polish, polish, polish! My focus now is really on phrasing and dynamics. I have the notes down, even in the difficult passages. Fro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a