Skip to main content

St. Louis Blues Challenge at Piano With Jonny

January is St. Louis Blues Challenge Month at PWJ!

I actually started this challenge about six months ago, got frustrated, and moved on to other things without finishing it. The challenge itself isn’t so hard, but I just could not get the G minor blues improv under my fingers.

When the challenge was announced on January 1, I decided to revisit it. Now that I’m learning more about transposing, I thought maybe I could finally come to peace with this G minor blues.

As is my wont, I no longer seem capable of just playing what’s written. Instead of simply playing the 12-bar A-section arrangement (which is all the challenge requires), I’ve created a whole combobulation:

  • Intro from PWJ Blues Endings 1 course (ending on D7)
  • 12-bar A section (the actual challenge)
  • 12-bar B section (using a lead sheet)
  • A-section repeat
  • 12-bar solo using runs from PWJ 10-Lesson Blues Challenge 2 course
  • A-section repeat with octave displacement throughout
  • 12 bars of unstructured jamming (chords, rolls, general mayhem)
  • Final A section, but with the melody and improv taking turns
  • Outro from PWJ Blues Endings 1 course

Here it is in all its glory. Actually, there’s no glory involved. It’s not performance-ready; this video is very much a progress post.

The real purpose of this video was simple: I wanted to see whether I look ridiculous when I play.

This music makes me move. Torso, legs, head—everything locks into the groove. I filmed it, watched it back, and reached a conclusion.

If I look silly, so be it. I’m done worrying about that. I’ve been criticized for “dancing” at the piano before, and I’m officially out of apologies.

I love this music, and it shows. If you don’t like how I look, just listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...