Skip to main content

Piano Lesson: More Words Than Music (This Time)

I'm technically on vacation for a couple of days. I was supposed to go to Shenandoah National Park with a group of ladies for a camping/backpacking trip, but a number of things came up that left me too broke and exhausted to make the trip. I considered having these few days be regular work days, but I truly needed the time off ... so I took it.

It has been heavenly, which has helped heal (somewhat) the disappointment of not going to Shenandoah. I've had to do a little bit of work for my job, but I've also had plenty of time for music.

Yesterday at noon, I went to Augusta to see a chamber music performance that was part of the Westobou Festival. My piano teacher, Carol, accompanied mezzo-soprano Diane Haslam, who did a mix of songs and poems about love. It was quite enjoyable, and I'm hoping to take more opportunities during the week (when I can) to attend music performances.

After that, I came back home and settled down in the music room for a few hours of practice. I worked on voice for about an hour, practicing some of the songs I've been learning, recording myself, listening, singing, recording, etc. I think I have made progress in voice. I've also noticed that I sing much better when I'm not stressed. After voice practice, I moved on to piano: scales, finger exercises, and Bach. The neighbor kid came over at some point to "make music with Nina." After we played and sang a few songs on piano, guitar, and general kid-classroom instruments, she left and I worked on Chopin. This morning, I spent some time on Schubert. My piano lesson, rescheduled from yesterday, was at 10:00.

We didn't play a lot, which was disappointing but OK because we spent a lot of time on theory! I'd gone through a bunch of scales and written in the accidentals to identify them as major, natural minor, melodic minor, or harmonic minor. I played through them (which I hadn't done yet), and only "missed" maybe three of the 80 or so I'd done. I don't even remember what our conversation was, but it was about scales, and I just felt so happy to be having a conversation about scales.

After that, we looked at the first line of the Debussy and worked on playing individual notes from mp to p, or maybe from mf to p. I'm working on being able to hear and control the (often subtle) gradations in the sound. For example, if I'm to carry a decrescendo over two measures and I'm to start it at p, I need to know how "loud" of a p that should be to that I have somewhere to go after the decrescendo begins. So the beginning p might need to be more of an mp, or maybe even an mf, so that I have the opportunity to get to pp or whatever is designated for the final note.

This exercise is really going to be useful for the Chopin, which has so many gradations of softness, such as with this decrescendo mark starting at a p in measure 9:


So while Chopin may have p written, I might need to play more of an mp too allow room to grow softer. Or at least figure out what p needs to sound like, and what I want the notes leading into that high F should sound like before I start the crescendo.

I worked on just the first four notes of the Debussy, starting at something like mf, listening to the sound dying away, and then picking up at the "dying volume" with the second note, and then repeating with the third and fourth.

And then it was time to go. :(

Next week we aren't going to do theory but are going to focus on actual pieces instead. We've had a couple of lessons that have been more talk than playing, so it's time to start playing again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a