Skip to main content

Getting the Performance Jitters Out of "The Entertainer"

I learned both "Solace" and "The Entertainer" in 2024, but I haven't made an official video of either. Why? It's partly that I haven't had a lot of opportunities--to make a good video, I need to be alone in the house (no background noise), and I need at least an hour for all the various takes. Another reason is that I've taken on new projects. In delegating both "Solace" and "The Entertainer" to maintenance, performance videos haven't been a priority.

But I need to make these videos. I can't officially graduate from these pieces until I've made the videos!

"The Entertainer" Practice Video

Here is a practice video of "The Entertainer." It's full of mistakes, and I'm still experimenting with pedaling in a few places. Because the camera was running, I made a lot of mistakes I don't usually make. But it's a start. It always does seem necessary to make a few bad videos before I can make a good one. The more practice videos I make, the fewer performance jitters I have.


I'm also going to listen to this one a few times (painful as it is) and make some notes of things to focus on in my next practice of this piece.

And hopefully I'll be able to make a good video soon!

P.S. About the New Camera Angle

I tried a new camera angle today and just realized that the lamp on the other side of me makes it look like I'm blowing a little horn as I play. I need to either find a new angle or move that lamp!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...