Skip to main content

Archie the Thumb

I've named my left thumb Archie because he arches when I play piano.


Do you see that? Do you see how Archie isn't looking rested and relaxed? That, friends, is what a tense thumb looks like.


Oh, yes. That is not a happy thumb.

Why am I arching my left thumb? I don't do this on my right hand. Just the left. In this case, I was playing the fifth Hanon exercise. Archie is perfectly relaxed on the way up the keyboard, but he arches right up on the way down.

On the way up, the thumb leads off and my weak 4 finger doesn't have to work very hard:

Not so on the way down. On the way down, the 4 finger has a bigger role. And the 4 finger is weak.

This weakness throws off the balance of my whole left hand. And what does Archie do?

He arches. He's overcompensating. My whole hand is overcompensating, I think, by becoming tense and stiff. Gotta get that 4 finger to do its job! But this isn't good.

My left hand needs to be relaxed. Archie needs to chill. And my 4 finger (what shall I name him?) (and why are my fingers male?) needs to learn to carry its own weight.

The solution? I asked my teacher about this because I'm having some trouble with evenness in the Bach when I speed it up to 80. And I know it's all related to my weak 4 finger.

She said to practice in syncopations, or rhythms.

Rhythms. Of course. I practice in rhythms all time time, but it's usually to instill muscle memory when I'm learning a new piece, not to get my weak 4 finger to behave.

See, I didn't have a weak 4 finger before. They were all strong, and they would all do what I wanted. But 10 years away from the piano? It has consequences.

So I'll be focusing on rhythms in both Hanon and Bach, and Schubert for that matter. I want evenness. I want strength. I want Archie not to arch. I want Archie to be happy.

And I want Norman to get strong.

Oh geez. I just named my left 4 finger (the ring finger) Norman.

It's time for bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eureka! Secondary Dominant!

I am such a nerd, and I love being a nerd! Today I was working on Section 5 of You Are My Sunshine, specifically on getting this section up to performance level. In other words, I was practicing being a performer , not an arranger . But then, of course, I came up with another idea. I had just played the delicate sixths and descending rag rolls of "when skies are gray" (I chord) and then moved to the parallel octaves of "you never know, dear" (leading to  IV). The shift sounded abrupt to me. Harsh. It needed something. It needed musical WD-40. Something to ease the hinge between textures. And then I stumbled upon it! Right before moving to IV, I can slip in a V7/IV — a secondary dominant! So I tried it, and it sounded so good that I actually yelled "Secondary dominant!" out loud in my house like I was Archimedes discovering water displacement in the bathtub. It's such a small thing. One little chord. But it smooths that transition, leaning the harmony ...

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, the lock isn't opening. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little room is my ...

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers. It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.) We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice! Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free! Lightning struck last nigh...