Skip to main content

Thumb-Tucking

I recently stumbled upon Lindsey Gallagher's YouTube channel, and it is a hoot. She is a pianist, Suzuki piano teacher, comedian, and self-proclaimed "Jonny May fangirl." Not only did she make laugh about 500 times in the hour that I binged-watched her channel, and not only did she cause me to realize that I, too, am something of a Jonny May fangirl, but she's developed some helpful videos on Suzuki piano technique, starting with The Suzuki Method: Ergonomics of Piano Technique. The technique that intrigued me the most was "thumb-tucking," which she also discusses in this video.

Now, I took piano from a Suzuki-certified teacher when I lived in Asheville, and while I remember her always telling me I needed "soft thumbs," I don't remember learning about thumb-tucking. (It's possible she beat the idea of thumb-tucking into me multiple times, and I simply wasn't ready/willing to listen or apply. Whatever happened or didn't happen, I don't ever remember learning this technique.)

Archie the Hitchhiker Thumb

I've mentioned on this blog before that I have "hitchhiker thumb" when playing the piano. Apparently my concern about this goes back years; here's a mildly entertaining blog post on it from 2018 called "Archie the Thumb." (In that post, I claim I'm only arching the thumb of one hand, but my recent videos show that it's now a problem in both hands.) (Also in that post, I apparently named my thumb Archie.)

Not only does the arched thumb (in both hands, no less) look silly, but it unnecessarily strains my hand. I've tried to correct this, and I can do it if I'm playing at a snail's pace and thinking about it really hard, but as soon as I speed up or let my mind wander, the thumb is back in Cobra pose.

How Thumb-Tucking Works

As Lindsey explains, you basically tuck your thumbs under your hands unless you're actually using the thumb to play a note. As soon as it plays ... it goes back under. Sounds simple, right? So I basically need to pretend my thumbs are both introverts, and that they only come out to socialize when they absolutely have to.

I worked on this last night while practicing the LH section of the Mad Chase section of the Chopin:

(And yes, I literally thought of my thumbs as introverts and those little dark spaces under my hands as cozy homes with cats and pianos in them, so that the thumbs would not want to leave unless they felt obligated.)

I discovered, to my great surprise, that that first reach (from E to D-flat) is a lot easier if my thumb is tucked under, and the strain on my hand is much less. Just that one thing made me glad I'd found this technique.

And So I Practiced ...

I worked on those eight measures for about a half-hour, which annoyed my introverted thumbs to no end because they kept having to leave the house and talk to people. I revisited the measures for a few minutes this morning before work, and it was just a little less difficult to keep the thumb from arching than it had been. I don't expect the thumb issue to fix itself in a day (Lindsey said it took three years for her, so I'm in for a long haul). Still, last night's practice helped.

Anyway, I'm so thankful to have found this technique. Lindsey includes an exercise of tapping (brushing*) the notes while holding the thumb in, so I'm going to work on that some at my desk at work.

*Speaking of "brushing" the notes, that Suzuki technique sounds very similar to the "feathering" that I wrote about earlier this week. I'm sure my Suzuki-trained teacher taught me about that as well, and I conveniently forgot it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro