Skip to main content

The Key is Turning

About three weeks ago (has it only been three weeks?), I posted The Rusty Lock and Key, about how there seems to be a locked door between where I am and where I want to be with regards to the piano. I wrote with a sense of hope, but, at the same time, I knew it would take time for me to break out of that dark little room. And it would take dedication and perseverance—two things I’ve been lacking. Yes, it would be a while before the key started to turn. Months, most likely. Or years.

Well. It’s been three weeks, and the key is starting to turn. I’m not there yet, but I have a whole new sense of hope. This is due to several things:

Quentin – This is the guy I’ll be meeting monthly for jazz piano lessons. We’ve only met once so far, but he gave me some valuable exercises that I’ve been doing assiduously every morning before work.

The Mark Levine Book – I’ve had this book for years and never got past the third chapter because I couldn’t understand it. I went ahead and skipped that chapter and went to the next one, which is easier to understand. For three weeks, every morning, I’ve been working on my ii-V-I progressions (with added color tones) in all inversions, all keys. It was so hard at first, and these progressions still don’t feel totally natural. But every now and then, I’m finding that my hands are going to the right place on their own. This is huge.

Piano With Jonny – This is a site I discovered a couple of weeks ago. I watched several of his videos on YouTube; I even posted one of his videos on this blog. That ragtime video left me wanting more, and when he offered a discounted annual membership, I jumped. And I am so glad I did! He has so much more than just the ragtime video.

  • Learning Tracks: I took the quiz and scored as advanced, but I put myself into the “early intermediate” track because I feel that I need to become better acquainted with sevenths. I’m currently working on major sevenths, which I thought I knew. Thanks to the exercises provided on the site, I’m learning them more thoroughly than ever.
  • PWJ Facebook group: This is a page for a bunch of people like me, who are at various level and just want to learn to play piano better! There is a monthly challenge to learn a jazz standard, and the challenge is available for beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. I have begun the February challenge to learn “Misty.” I’m doing the advanced version, so I hope I’m not in over my head.
  • Extended ragtime videos: These are so good! I watched the two beginner/intermediate videos and have started writing my own ragtime version of “You Are My Sunshine.” I already do a stride version of my own, and I think this new version (mostly using the “forward rag” style) will make for a nice middle section in the higher register.

Morning practices – These have been non-negotiable. Every morning, for about 20 minutes, I go through my ii-V-I progressions. At first, I just worked on the key of C, and then I added F a few days later, then B-flat, working my way around the circle of fifths. I’m now going through every key every morning, and each time I use a different pattern (circle of fifths forward or backward, chromatically ascending or descending, using broken chords, etc.). I also do the ii-V-I progressions using shell chords as part of this practice session.

The only thing I’ve neglected is actually working on songs. For some reason, I don’t quite feel ready for that yet. I also don’t want to work on too many things at once (remember, I’m also working on the Chopin nocturne and Maple Leaf Rag). But the songs will come.

That’s about it for today. I’ll post some of my “Misty” progress as I work through the February PWJ challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro