Skip to main content

Well.

It looks like "A Sort of Notebook" is an ex-blog. I'm not going to post a link to it because it's been taken over by spammers.

It's Saturday night and I love merlot. No, I'm not drunkly. I went to a 50th birthday party tonight and had two lovely glasses of merlot. Then we went to a toy store. (I should never go to a toy store after two glasses of merlot, and after running eight miles. I bought some yellow teeth, a remote-control fart machine, two crazy pencils, and a present for my future niece who has yet to be conceived.)

We went to an art gallery earlier that happens to have a grand piano and I played the Bach Prelude. Oh my, but it's sounding nice!

Deborah (my piano teacher) has a grand (I can't remember the manufacturer. Forgive me.) that she wants to sell me for $8,800, or $100 a key. Hubster thinks that's too much. I told him it's a steal--we get the pedals, and the wood, and the wheels, and the bench for free!

Lightning struck last night. It fried our computer, our television, our stereo, and our telephone. I was thrilled. We could finally get rid of the T.V. and replace it with a piano. An $8,800 piano. But no. Would you believe, Hub has already bought a flat-screen TV to replace it? Poor Hub. But at least he called and asked my permission. I said, "No, I don't want a T.V.," but then I said, "But I love my Hubster, and my Hubster loves college football. Yes, dear, go ahead and get the T.V."

As soon as we get a house that doesn't have serious humidity problems, I'm getting myself an $8,800 grand. I can't wait.

Comments

Jammie J. said…
Boy, you're just having a time of it, aren't you? Your blog, then computer, TV, stereo and telephone? Man.

I have to say, though, I was never so thrilled but when I talked my husband into getting a projector rather than another HUGE TV. Now we have a box the size of a ream of paper and some speakers. Much easier to clean cat fur out from under and it was only $700. Hehe

BTW, I'll just change your link on my blog to this one. Thanks for letting me know. :)
Anonymous said…
Wow, I visited your old blog today and found it all in Swahili! Glad to know you're still here. I know I'm a rare commenter, but I do enjoy reading your blog.

Sorry you ended up with a TV instead of a grand piano! But, happy for hubby...I guess.
eArThworm said…
Yikes! Can the blogspot folx do anything to re-capture your blog?
I miss it. Dang.
Anonymous said…
Oh thank god you're still here! I just came back from holiday to find your blog wasn't your blog, and I was worrying about you. Phew!
Anonymous said…
Hi!! I have been a faithful visitor for months...
Glad to have you back. Your blog is so inspiring. I also absolutely LOVE my piano.
Keep writing!
Linda Davick said…
Well, I'm just as relieved as everybody else to read this great post. Thank you. I feel much better now. (You know my true feelings about the piano ... but I loved this post anyway! Lots of fun.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Just adding a picture for now

I may be posting to this blog soon, for the first time in many years. For now, though, I just need to post this picture so that I can link it to a post on the Piano Forums. It's of a very dusty and unused piano that I may be getting for free. I've never heard of Campbell & Young (at least, that's what I think this says). I've heard of Kohler & Campbell, and I've heard of Young Chang ... did the two merge? So many questions, and Google has been no help.

The Key is Turning

About three weeks ago (has it only been three weeks?), I posted The Rusty Lock and Key , about how there seems to be a locked door between where I am and where I want to be with regards to the piano. I wrote with a sense of hope, but, at the same time, I knew it would take time for me to break out of that dark little room. And it would take dedication and perseverance—two things I’ve been lacking. Yes, it would be a while before the key started to turn. Months, most likely. Or years. Well. It’s been three weeks, and the key is starting to turn. I’m not there yet, but I have a whole new sense of hope. This is due to several things: Quentin – This is the guy I’ll be meeting monthly for jazz piano lessons. We’ve only met once so far, but he gave me some valuable exercises that I’ve been doing assiduously every morning before work. The Mark Levine Book  – I’ve had this book for years and never got past the third chapter because I couldn’t understand it. I went ahead and skipped that chapte