Skip to main content

Wednesday's Lesson Cancelled

Yesterday, Deborah and I made the mutual decision to cancel my lesson. I've been estranged from the piano all week, and was going to need a "practice lesson" anyway. And Deborah had an unexpected schedule change. It wasn't a change that would interfere with my lesson, but it would have required her to race around and be stressed and have to hurry ... just to get home so I could have a practice lesson. And I wasn't all that crazy about the idea of the hour-long drive for a practice lesson.

We both agreed. Not worth it.

So, did I practice yesterday? NO. Why not? I worked at the bookstore, then ran four miles, then came home. My husband was home early, and it was Valentine's Day. It would be really bad form to lock myself up in the piano room when one's spouse comes home early for Valentine's Day. So I didn't practice.

And I won't get much practicing in this weekend because I'll be on the road and piano-less for most of it.

I'm not stressed about the lack of practice, though. Piano is a priority, but it isn't always the top one. And this week, my novel and my friend Jan's book (which I'm editing) have been the priorities. And piano's going to have to play second fiddle (is that a pun?) for a few more weeks, I'm afraid, until Jan's book is done.

Still, I hope to do better than I did last week. Two hours a week on this music is simply not going to cut it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Having little time to practice is always a problem. Specially for adult students. I tell my students to practice a little everyday even though they are very busy. Even on Valentines day I am sure that you would have been able the spend at least 15 minutes practicing. A little every day is much better than practicing several hours twice a week.

Stokes
http://www.Free-Piano-Sheet-Music.com

Popular posts from this blog

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Just adding a picture for now

I may be posting to this blog soon, for the first time in many years. For now, though, I just need to post this picture so that I can link it to a post on the Piano Forums. It's of a very dusty and unused piano that I may be getting for free. I've never heard of Campbell & Young (at least, that's what I think this says). I've heard of Kohler & Campbell, and I've heard of Young Chang ... did the two merge? So many questions, and Google has been no help.

The Key is Turning

About three weeks ago (has it only been three weeks?), I posted The Rusty Lock and Key , about how there seems to be a locked door between where I am and where I want to be with regards to the piano. I wrote with a sense of hope, but, at the same time, I knew it would take time for me to break out of that dark little room. And it would take dedication and perseverance—two things I’ve been lacking. Yes, it would be a while before the key started to turn. Months, most likely. Or years. Well. It’s been three weeks, and the key is starting to turn. I’m not there yet, but I have a whole new sense of hope. This is due to several things: Quentin – This is the guy I’ll be meeting monthly for jazz piano lessons. We’ve only met once so far, but he gave me some valuable exercises that I’ve been doing assiduously every morning before work. The Mark Levine Book  – I’ve had this book for years and never got past the third chapter because I couldn’t understand it. I went ahead and skipped that chapte