Skip to main content

Week of June 4

It's time to revive my practice-logging system. I'll be logging my practice hours, as well as my own comments, observations, and reflections about practice sessions, here. If you want to share your own practice notes or read mine, feel free. If you don't, then you can simply ignore any post that begins with the piano image at the top.

If you want to access the week's practice log quickly, simply click the link beneath the piano icon in the sidebar.

So let's get started!

Sunday, June 4: Approximately 90 minutes of practice. I warmed up with the usual contrary-motion scales; today was E major and C# minor. Then I did arpeggios (Ab major and F minor). For Suzuki, I'm working on a Bach Minuet in G that I first learned when I was about eight. I have the whole thing by ear, so Deborah now has me focusing very intently on articulation. I'm also supposed to be listening to the next Suzuki piece so I can learn it by ear, but I haven't been listening. Bad, bad piano student. I just really don't like doing the Suzuki stuff.

Most of my practice time today was spent on the Bach Fugue in C# Major. My practice times have been so spotty in the last few months that it seems I'm going to have to relearn what I thought I'd learned earlier. I can play each voice on its own, hands separately, all the way through ... or I could. When I tried the voices today, my fingers were tripping all over themselves and I had to trudge through it super slowly in order to play it.

I ended up having to drill small sections, hands separately for most of my practice. I got through the first page and a half. I'll do the next page and a half tomorrow, and the rest of the piece on Tuesday. That way, I should be somewhat ready for Wednesday's lesson, when I'll (hopefully) start ... tah-dah! ... putting the voices together.

I worked on the Liszt a little bit, but it's late and I was starting to get tired. Rather than practice badly because of low concentration, I simply played through the two sections I worked on last night, very slowly, a few times. And that was it.

Since it's late and I'm too tired to practice Liszt, I guess I'll go to sleep!

Monday, June 5: Snatched 45 luxurious minutes to do scales, arps, a Suzuki run-through, and a bit of Bach. Practiced the bass voice of the fugue through the Episode II. Yes, I'm having to re-learn it--knowing that learning it all hands-together will be yet another re-learning. But, as they say at McDonalds, "I'm lovin' it." Or, as Bach might say, "ich liebe es."

I'm hoping to practice a few more hours tonight after I get home from graduation.

Tuesday, June 6: Took about 70 minutes this afternoon to do scales, arps, Suzuki, and Liszt. I now have the last page and a half of the Liszt sounding pretty good. Did quite a bit of drilling of the last half-page. It's actually one of the easiest sections of the piece, but those easy sections can be deceiving, so I made sure to drill it as much as I would drill a harder section.

I didn't get around to Bach. Hopefully I will tonight.

Wednesday, June 7: Didn't really practice today because I had a lesson. Because I'll be hiking for a few days, Deborah gave me small assignments: Start learning the Bach Fugue hands-separately, play through the Prelude once, and work on voicing in Section 12 of the Liszt.

Saturday, June 10: Worked for about 60 minutes on scales, arps, Suzuki, and the Prelude and Fugue. Played through the Prelude twice (it's not hard at all), and started working on the Fugue hands-separately. I'd thought it would be a difficult step from voices-separately, but it wasn't so bad.

TOTAL PRACTICE TIME FOR WEEK OF JUNE 4: 4 hours., 41 minutes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to properly re-learn those two sections, and to finally learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece. I worked on these over the next month or two, learning (and-relearning) the notes pretty quickly ... but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a