Skip to main content

New (to me) Fingerings in Chopin

I feel like an old dog who is having to learn a paw-ful of new tricks.

After playing this Chopin piece on and off over the past 15 or so years, I'm realizing that some of my fingerings just don't work. Well, I realized it long ago, but I'm accepting it now. And I'm starting the long road of changing the fingerings that have been imprinted on my brain all this time.

First, we have the octave-jump that appears a couple of times on the first page, and a couple of times at the end (sorry, I don't have measure numbers at hand):

Do you see that "1 5" there? Basically, I use my 5 finger for the lower F, use 1 an octave up, and then do a quick switch from 1 to 5 while keeping the F pressed down.

I can do this quite well at a slow tempo. When I speed up, however, I let up on the higher F just a bit, and I end up playing two short F's in succession--one with the 5, and one with the 1.

It's always been like this. It's always been a toss-up as to whether I'll play it correctly, or not.

So I decided that the fingering needs to change. I have two options:

  • 5 on the lower F, then 1 on the higher F, and then cross over the 3 to get to the B-flat
  • 5 on the lower F, then 5 on the higher F
Here's option 1:


The downside here is that it's slightly awkward for my 3 to reach over after stretching from 5 to 1.

Here's option 2: 


The downside of the second option is that the second F's volume will be harder to control because I'm jumping up with the 5. But I've decided (for now) that that's my preferred approach. That way I can hold the higher F down as a half-note. (Though it probably doesn't matter, since I'm using the pedal. And it's hard to tell anyway why Chopin put a half note there, because it doesn't completely make sense.)

Fingering change number 2 is in the sotto voce section, where the octaves are playing the melody:


Do you see how the high notes of the octaves alternate between 4 and 5? Well, I've been playing all of the octaves with my 1 and 5 fingers, jumping around. It hasn't sounded bad because the pedal makes up for the fact that they're not totally legato, but still ... I've realized that I will have more control over the tone and phrasing if I use 4 instead of 5 in some places.

This has been a big change. I have to focus so hard on the new fingering that my left hand loses its place. I may end up going back to the 1 and 5 approach for every octave, since it sounds fine that way ... but I want to try this.

It is so strange, after playing this piece all these years, that I am still developing such simple things as fingerings. I'm working on a few other, "higher-level" things as well, of course. I am so close to having this one "performance-ready." Though I will probably always find something new in this piece to work on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Bare Necessities

Today's breakthrough moment (there are actually two of them) focuses on "Bare Necessities." As you'll remember, I discovered Jonny May's arrangement back in early March and immediately decided to learn it. I printed out the music, started the course, and proceeded to learn the stride section, posting a few videos of my progress. Ha. I bet those videos make it look like I was making progress. I guess I was ... but not really. And I realized something this weekend that I hadn't before: Because I was thinking of "Bare Necessities" as a "fun" piece, I wasn't practicing it seriously or diligently. I wasn't treating it as something I wanted to master. This mindset might work with an easier piece, but this arrangement isn't easy. The result: despite a little progress at the outset, I wasn't moving forward. I was stalled. Breakthrough #1 The first breakthrough was realizing that if I truly want to learn this piece and play it well,

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Maple Leaf Rag Breakthrough

Oh, Maple Leaf. Where to begin? At the Beginning I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I learned the A and B sections of Maple Leaf Rag back in the 1990s. I can’t tell you if it was early, mid- or late 90s, but it was during those 10 years after I’d graduated college, when I was playing a good bit of piano but not taking regular lessons from anyone. I don’t remember teaching it to myself at all. I just know that, at some point, the first half of Maple Leaf Rag was part of my two- or three-song repertoire of pieces I’d be able to play by memory over the next 25 years. It was always sloppy and I knew it, but people loved it, and so I played it if there was ever a piano around. Back in January, I decided to learn the C and D sections of this wonderful piece, so I taught them to myself over the next month or two. I learned the notes pretty quickly, but it took time to memorize, and also to get everything to tempo surpassing a slow crawl. I finally got the Trio (the hardest section, in my