Skip to main content

Memorizing is Mesmerizing

I have had the hardest time memorizing songs for my voice lessons. I work at it and I practice, but the practice sessions aren't as focused as I'd like them to be, and it seems that the weekly voice lessons come and go, and the words still aren't there.

Piano is another story. At least when I took from Deborah, memorizing wasn't too much of a stretch because I practiced so intently. At the same time, she didn't require memorization, so I never quite jumped out of the nest with any of my pieces. So did I ever memorize them?

Kind of? Maybe?

I'll never know. So in my rediscovery of the B-flat minor nocturne, I've decided that I want to do two things I'd never seriously focused on before: analysis and memory. The two go hand-in-hand, so it seemed a worthy way to spend some time this afternoon while Anne played with the neighbor kids outside.

My Schirmer edition of the nocturne is the one I learned with, so it's all marked up with fingerings and comments. I had this Alfred edition that I've never used, so it became my "analysis copy." I started by simply labeling the chords.


Quite a few of the chords were simple, as in the very beginning of the piece: B-flat minor to F7, back and forth. It gets more complicated and interesting later on, of course.

I feel a little silly that I waited so long to do this analysis. I noticed a couple of things right off the bat that I'd never even thought about before:
  • How changing from the minor to the relative major feels like a sunrise
  • How, after making that change, going from the I to the IV of the relative major feels like the warmth of the sun coming from behind a cloud on a too-cold day
I'm sure that is the oldest trick in the book, but it's new to me, and I made stuff up for a good half hour, just noodling from minor to relative major and back again.

The other thing I thought about was diminished seventh chords and how their instability can lead you anywhere. My music theory knowledge is limited, but I do remember learning this at some point. I just never applied it, or even thought about it beyond the classroom setting. It was "theory" and for too much of my life, "theory" had been a separate thing from the experience of making music. For a long time, I just wanted to play. I didn't want to be analytical about it.

I know, I know. It's dumb. I have a lot to make up for. 

Once I'd thought about and labeled the chords in the first section, I worked on memorizing. As you might expect, having the chords written down, and now having the ability to think about the direction the music was going, made memorization so much easier. I played at a snail's pace, too, to help ensure that I wasn't just relying on muscle memory.

Somehow, two hours went by as I analyzed and memorized. When Anne came in with the neighbor to see if they could go get ice cream, I felt almost irritable, like I'd just been pulled out of a deep sleep. But we ended up going to Chick-Fil-A for a late lunch and ice cream, and then to the playground, and then to Rack Room to get Anne some new shoes, and it was a fun afternoon with the kids.

When I got home, I sat down to play the few pages I'd memorized earlier, and ... yep. It was still there. I played it slowly, and it was still there. This may be the first time I've actually memorized those pages. Really memorized them. Hopefully I'll never lose them again.

The goal for tomorrow afternoon is to memorize the third main section, and probably the fourth (which is mostly a repeat of the first, except for the ending). The goal for the rest of my life is to play the hell out of this nocturne so that I'm still playing it at age 90 in the nursing home ...whether the rest of my mental faculties are there or not!

I also need to practice voice tomorrow. I wish analyzing the chord progressions would help me memorize the words, but I don't think it works that way ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rusty Lock and Key

I'm in a room. There's a door in front of me. On the other side of that door is a whole world of adventure and imagination and joy and delight, but for the moment, I'm locked in this gray little room. The door itself has a lock that is all rusted. I've tried to open it in the past, but I've never gotten very far. Sometimes I try to scrape the rust off the lock. I also have a rusty old key that I occasionally try to polish. Each time, after I've made a little progress, I'll put it into the keyhole in hopes of opening the door. It turns a half a millimeter or so, but the brief excitement at my progress dies quickly when I realize, once again, it's not going to open the lock. I set the old key aside, and from there I can forget about the door, the lock, and the world outside, for months—years, even. But then something happens—I hear birdsong, or I catch a glimpse of color—and I pick up the key and start picking away at the stubborn rust. That dark little ro

Just adding a picture for now

I may be posting to this blog soon, for the first time in many years. For now, though, I just need to post this picture so that I can link it to a post on the Piano Forums. It's of a very dusty and unused piano that I may be getting for free. I've never heard of Campbell & Young (at least, that's what I think this says). I've heard of Kohler & Campbell, and I've heard of Young Chang ... did the two merge? So many questions, and Google has been no help.

The Key is Turning

About three weeks ago (has it only been three weeks?), I posted The Rusty Lock and Key , about how there seems to be a locked door between where I am and where I want to be with regards to the piano. I wrote with a sense of hope, but, at the same time, I knew it would take time for me to break out of that dark little room. And it would take dedication and perseverance—two things I’ve been lacking. Yes, it would be a while before the key started to turn. Months, most likely. Or years. Well. It’s been three weeks, and the key is starting to turn. I’m not there yet, but I have a whole new sense of hope. This is due to several things: Quentin – This is the guy I’ll be meeting monthly for jazz piano lessons. We’ve only met once so far, but he gave me some valuable exercises that I’ve been doing assiduously every morning before work. The Mark Levine Book  – I’ve had this book for years and never got past the third chapter because I couldn’t understand it. I went ahead and skipped that chapte